We often stay in a vacation condo when we travel because the easiest way to eat AIP-compliant is to do a lot of our own cooking – something we love to do! On this one vacation, I was craving apple pie, but vacation condos don’t supply a pie plate! The answer….apple galette! I did have the pastry ingredients with me, but I didn’t have a scale. I took a chance and found this website and converted the weight to cups and tablespoons. (I promise to update this post once I can make this again at home with the use of my food scale. ) We gave this recipe a try anyhow and thought you’d be interested in how it turned out:
|Look:||(4 / 5)|
|Smell:||(5 / 5)|
|Taste:||(4 / 5)|
|Ease of Prep:||(4 / 5)|
|Friends & Family:||(3 / 5)|
|Average:||(4 / 5)|
For the Pastry:
80 gr Tigernut Flour
60 gr Arrowroot Flour
20 gr Coconut Flour
½ tsp Ginger Powder
*10 gr Maca Powder (*avoid if on the AIP. Maca is immune stimulating; I asked Eileen from Phoenix Helix and she told me she would recommend removing it from AIP-friendly recipes, that should always err on the safe side).
60 gr Coconut Milk
1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
40 gr Coconut Oil, melted
30 gr Coconut Water
For the Filling:
½ Peach, sliced (if out of season, reheat slices of frozen peach until soft
1/3 Apple, sliced
¼ tsp ground Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine all the dry ingredient together in a bowl, mix well with a fork and add in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Knead well with your hands until you have a nice ball of dough.
- Roll out the dough for your paleo galette between two sheets of parchment paper until about ¼” thick.
- Place the fruit filling in the center of your dough (try to place the slices in a circular shape like you see in the photos) and carefully fold the pastry sides up.
- Sprinkle the top of your paleo apple galette with cinnamon and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until the crust is crispy and golden.
- Remove the paleo apple galette from the oven and let it cool before slicing.
Summary: This recipe turned out great and smelled AMAZING! We used one medium size Granny Smith apple and the sweetness level was perfect, a real surprise even though the recipe doesn’t include a sweetener! We will definitely make this one for family and friends and update the test ratings!